24 August 2013

Guitar tone obsession

    I've been watching many youtube videos of guitar pedals the last couple weeks in search of amazing tone and versatility.  I read the comments from users of these metal boxes in sites like Amazon and Musician's Friend.  One of the best guys who demos the pedals on youtube is Andy from ProGuitarShop.  After conducting much research, I've compiled a list of pedals I would like to own for my sound.  One thing that is often overlooked, however, are the knobs on the guitar and amp.  If you were to start with a low gain and high volume on the amp, maybe a 6 or 7, and roll back the volume knobs on the guitar, you can give yourself much versatility.  Then when you want more volume and boost, just turn up the guitar sans stompboxes.  Don't get me wrong, I still have a list of pedals that would be useful, including a compression, an overdrive/distortion, a mid/treble booster (for solos), a delay, and maybe a wah-wah.
    If you are like me and like making loops on the fly, a loop pedal is a must.  When you can get the timing right, they are a lot of fun.  I've been using the original Digitech Jamman with a footswitch that scrolls up and down between saved loops. It's perfect for setting up verse, chorus, and bridge parts!  The Jamman is pretty cool, but I have my eyes set on an Infinity Looper from Pigtronix.  It can do a lot more I see from the videos and reviews.
    So my sought after list of guitar pedals has been placed in order of importance, and order of future purchase.  If I had unlimited money I could purchase all of this at once and set up my pedal-board!  That however will have to wait.  I wrote down my ideas in the meantime:-)
    I know I've been talking about guitar pedals, but I also intend on buying a 4-string bass guitar.  A guitarist and singer who can also play bass could work out great.  Look at Sting and Geddy Lee.  I mostly want to compose music, though.  After improving my abilities at programming drum beats in a computer, playing live guitar and bass and recording through maybe Pro-Tools, I could make some good music and maybe market it and myself online.
    Playing music to me is such a stress reliever too.  If I never make money at it and just play for enjoyment, it is still worthwhile to me.  After having a bit of a playing hiatus, I was asked to play bass guitar in church.  I accepted and have been borrowing a bass to play.  Playing with a band that includes my wife on guitar, a drummer, and a couple singers is very rewarding.  To be serving the Lord and others by going to practice and playing is priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment