16 December 2012

Flatpickin'

I was finger picking on the guitar making some music with open strings and mostly 2 note chords this morning.  I've had an affinity with the guitar for a long time.  I took my first lessons when I was 16 and wanted to learn some Country style playing.  My instructor picked up a Mel Bays guitar book on flatpicking Bluegrass style music.  I became good at cross picking fast and have incorporated that into other styles.  And then I started learning some Joe Satriani style legato and incorporated that.  I really became a fan of guitar Rock music and Funk.  Then I started learning some Jazz, Bossa Nova, and other styles.  I was fascinated with trying to come up with strange chords and moveable forms.  Only the past couple years have I really started playing without a pick and using my fingers.  There is so much that can be done and then I realize that I haven't concentrated enough on learning actual songs!  I was all about learning the music theory behind how things work together and making my own music and sound.  I realize I need to learn some songs with the wife who also plays guitar.  I could spend time on learning how to read notation quickly too, but most songs have chords above them anyway.  When I was fresh out of high school, I took singing/vocal lessons off and on for a year, because I wanted to be a vocalist.  I picked up playing the guitar because I thought all singers played guitar as well!  I ended up getting good at playing guitar and forsaking developing my vocals more.  But, I had my own business of teaching others how to play guitar, which was a lot of fun.  Now I want to play and sing with the wife; it's just a matter of finding the time to practice together.  Producing and marketing a song or even an entire album would be amazing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment